Real Life Mario Mushroom
This isn’t a CG shot or photorealistic Photoshop painting. This is a real life super mushroom found somewhere in the wild.
According to my resident fungi expert (Audrey is a ninja biologist), this mushroom is actually called Amanita muscaria, or Fly Agaric, and is quite poisonous. In fact, the Amanita family is responsible for 90% of all mushroom-induced fatalities. The red-capped variety, shown above, is indeed poisonous, but not fatal.
There was a joke in here somewhere, but I’m more amazed that my wife actually knew what the mushroom was called when I showed her the photo.
Thanks to reader James for sending the link my way.
[Via Tokyo Mango]